If you have spent a neat packet on an expensive exercise bike you had always dreamt about and think you are done, think again. Howsoever sophisticated your exercise bike may be, it will end up causing a lot of unnecessary damage to your beautiful hardwood or cement floor. It may even wear out your carpet, or stain it with your sweat, once you start using it.
A spin bike mat prevents this and protects your bike’s intricate mechanism from dust and grime. Moreover, there are plenty of brands to choose.
- 1 Best Spin Bike Mats
- 2 Peloton Bike Mat – how is it different compared to other mats?
- 3 Stationary Bike Mats – What you should know?
- 4 Turbo Trainer Mats
Best Spin Bike Mats
Stamina Fold-to-Fit Folding Equipment Mat
The Stamina indoor exercise equipment mat is one of the best in the market today. It not only protects the floor from unnecessary wear and tear, but its grippy surface also prevents slippage. This facilitates a vigorous workout without any fear of damage or tripping. In addition, you can use it with almost any indoor workout equipment, since this foldable mat fits any space.
Weighing seven pounds, this high-quality mat is extremely durable, made from the tough-yet-soft closed-cell foam material and a textured, non-slip pebble surface that cleans easily. Its thickness of 0.25 inches makes it absorb all kinds of shocks, impacts and vibrations. Measuring 84 inches by 36 inches, you can fold this mat into seven sections and customize it to fit an exerciser of any size. This makes it ideal for treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, stair steppers, etc.
SuperMats Heavy Duty Equipment Mat 13GS
The SuperMats 13GS, a US product, is not composed of any harmful chemicals or materials, making it completely safe for children and pets. Made from heavy duty and durable vinyl composites, this 30-inch by 60-inch mat not only protects your fitness equipment from excess vibrations and shocks, but also prevents damage to your floor or carpet, thereby extending the life of your equipment.
It also prevents dust and debris from entering the internal components, and additionally dampens the noise. This mat is perfect for use of both stationary fitness equipment as well as for performing floor exercises and yoga.
BalanceFrom GoFit High Density Bike Equipment Mat
BalanceFrom GoFit is made of high-density PVC materials that protects your floor or carpet from any kind of damage while using your indoor fitness equipment. You can use the mat with treadmills, exercise bikes, ellipticals, etc. You may also use it as a yoga or exercise mat.
This mat, measuring 78 inches by 36 inches, is available in two versions – foldable and regular. You can fold the foldable type of mat into 13 sections that enable it to accommodate most types of exercise equipment. Aesthetically designed with different patterns on both sides, this mat not only looks great, but also prevents vibrations and shocks. Its solid grip on the floor also prevents the equipment from shifting or jumping around when in use.
Its high quality materials not only add to its durability thus aiding noise reduction, but its moisture resistant technology also makes it easy to clean with soap and water. The rigid patterns on both sides of the mat prevent it from sliding around, while the equipment is being used. What’s more, this mat comes with a 100% BalanceFrom Satisfaction guarantee and a 2-year BalanceFrom warranty.
CAP Barbell Premium Mat for Exercise Equipment
CAP Barbell Premium Mat is made of super-tough and highly durable blown PVC that protects your floor or carpet from vibrations and perspiration. The blown PVC also helps in dampening the accompanying noise.
The mat, measuring 36 inches by 48 inches, is ideal for most fitness equipment. It offers a perfect surface for spin bikes and other equipment and its cushioning makes it anti-fatigue, allowing you to stand on the mat for long durations without tiring.
The mat is available in several shapes and sizes that range from rectangular to circular to even 4-, 6- or 12-piece puzzle that can be joined together to form a single piece. It is available in many colors and designs.
SuperMats Heavy Duty Equipment Mat 30GS
SuperMats 30GS uses US-sourced materials that are bereft of harmful chemicals. This makes it safe for use by both children and pets. Measuring 30 inches by 72 inches, this heavy-duty mat fits multiple exercise units, such as treadmills, elliptical, recumbent bikes, cross-country trainers, and the like.
Its composition of vinyl composite makes it super-tough, durable and heavy-duty. The design of the bike mat helps to protect your flooring or carpet from the excessive vibrations, shocks and impacts. At the same time, it also dampens the noise and prevents grime and dust from settling into the moving parts of the equipment. This helps prolong your equipment’s life.
Peloton Bike Mat – how is it different compared to other mats?
A bike mat is undoubtedly one of the most essential accessories for your fitness equipment that protects both your floor and carpet plus the equipment. Although there are several kinds of bike mats, as described above, there is one called the Peloton Bike Mat.
Peloton Bike Mat is specifically designed for Peloton branded bikes and is of perfect size, measuring 48 inches by 36 inches that snugly fits under the bike. Other normal-sized treadmill mats with standard size of 72 inches by 36 inches are a little too long for Peloton equipment. However, most users do not find it much different from other standard bike mats.
Stationary Bike Mats – What you should know?
A stationary bike mat is generally used for all kinds of fitness equipment to prevent wear and tear of the floor from vibrations and shocks, as also the equipment from dust and grime. Since this mat bears the entire weight of the fitness equipment, it is made of tough and highly resilient materials.
Some tips before choosing a floor protector mat for your spin bike or other stationary exercisers:
- Ensure that the protection mat is composed of non-porous materials to resist stains, liquids and debris.
- Impermeability also makes it easy for you to wipe clean the mats easily.
- It is a good practice to have an idea of the footprint of your fitness machine. You can select a mat that is a little larger than this floor area.
- Usually heavy exercise machines like elliptical trainers, treadmills cover a large area than spin bikes and hence will require a larger mat.
- It will be better if the top surface of the bike mat is textured to increase friction, grip and stability.
- Ensure that the mat is covered by at least a one-year warranty for manufacturing defects.
- PVC or vinyl based mats are quite durable however they may emit plastic odor during initial use.
- Rubber or foam mats are common but may be porous. You can vacuum them or use a damp cloth to clean them.
- Since some mats tend to slip on carpets, it is always better to avoid carpets between the mat and floor.
- Thinner mats are lightweight and are easy to roll for storage. However, thin mats should be made of a strong, heavy duty and durable material to withstand the workout pressure.
- Thicker mats do a better job of protecting your floor and do not tend to curl up. However they may be difficult to roll. If your indoor exerciser is not heavy, you can opt for a thin mat.
- Apart from using your indoor bike mat as a floor protector, you can also use it to perform your weight training, plyometrics, yoga or as a foam roller.
- If you have an oversized mat, you can even cut the extra part and place it beneath your heavy home appliances.
- Check the compatibility of your mat with the type of floor you have so that it does not tend to slip during heavy pedaling or vigorous movements.
Turbo Trainer Mats
However, there is another kind of mat known as Turbo Trainer Mat made of body solid rubber. This type of mat is primarily used by bike trainers, ski exercisers and for general aerobics. The function of this mat is similar to that of a stationary bike mat; however, the build material is different. Some users find this mat too thin.
Although most spin bikes come with built-in stability features and end caps to protect the flooring, a spin bike mat is still very much required to not only give added protection to the floor and the bike mechanism, but also to hold the spin bike in place. It also defines your workout area. You can choose the one most suited for your purpose from a wide range of spin bike mats available in the market.